Google

Monday, October 09, 2006

Individualism and collectivism

There are teothings. It is often said that individualism is true of U.S, whereas collectivism is true of Japan. Long time ago, When I visited U.S,I felt “individualism” directly. When we had to decide what we did next, they often said, for example, “You don’ have to stay at Washington and eat dinner. You can go back to College Park and eat there” This is greatly impressive to me. In Japan, we are often supposed to do the same thing with everyone (though it is a little bit less in these days). Apart from which one is better, I felt really comfortable. Because in Japan I sometimes had to do what I didn’t wanted to do!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a Japanese, but I think individualism is better than collectivism. Most Japaneses like collectivism. But because we have to do what we don't want to do not sometimes but usually, a few Japaneses dislike collectivism.
However Japaneses who like collectivism will deny the difference from foreign countries itself.