Google

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Nobel Peace Prize 2006

I learned about Muhammad Yunus and the Grameen Bank who received the Nobel Peace Prize this Year in another class last week. I didn't know about this bank before and was very impressed. Muhammad Yunus is a Bangladeshi who founded the Grameen Bank and started Microredit. Microcredit is the extension of very small loans to the unemployed, to poor entrepreneurs and to others living in poverty who are not bankable (2006/11/19 wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcredit 2006/11/16). I have a friend who use to live in Bangladesh and she told me that only 20% of Bangladeshi people are able to use electricity. I was very surprized that 80% percetn of the people live without electricity. Those people need help and what Muhammad Yunus and the Grameen Bank did was great. It's not what everybody can do, even if we are thinking we want to help poor people in developing countryies. This is a thing I always think when I hear people doing great things, but I want to try from the little things I can do.

No comments: